Disciple of Jesus

As Jesus and his disciples were proceeding on their journey, someone said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.” Jesus answered him, “Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head.” And to another he said, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, let me go first and bury my father.” But he answered him, “Let the dead bury their dead. But you, go and proclaim the Kingdom of God.” And another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but first let me say farewell to my family at home.” Jesus answered him, “No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the Kingdom of God.”  Luke 9:57-62

Today we read of three different instances where people were willing to follow Jesus, but first had to take care of personal situations.  Do you think Jesus was harsh in his response to each instance?  Jesus is explaining that in order to be a disciple and follower of Jesus Christ you have to be willing to forgo everything which will never be easy.  To be a follower of Jesus is not going to be easy and you will be ridiculed for your beliefs.  Jesus is willing to put into perspective what should be most important in your life, whether it be relationships, possessions or a lifestyle that you find comfortable.  If you are ready to give up everything and follow the will of which Jesus has for your life there you will find true happiness and true friendship in a life with Christ.  

What is most important to you?  What are you willing to give to Jesus?  Will you give him everything?  Look to Mary our Mother as an example of what it means to give. 


Take, O Lord, and receive my entire liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my whole will. All that I am and all that I possess you have given me. I surrender it all to you to be disposed of according to your will. Give me only your love and your grace - with these I will be rich enough and will desire nothing more.   Prayer of Ignatius Loyola


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JOY

My witness

You do not need to change I need to change...