The hardness of your heart

Then Abraham said,
‘If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets,
neither will they be persuaded
if someone should rise from the dead.’  Luke 16:31

God waits for you to call on him, from today's readings we see the contrast in what the after life will truly be.  The beggar at the door of the rich man's house was seen as just part of the landscape, he was given no real value as a human being.  We do the same thing to the people around us, see them as part of the landscape and give them no value as a human being.  But the beggar chose to trust in God to provide for his needs.  The same is true in the first reading, Cursed is the man who seeks his strength in flesh and not in the Lord (Jeremiah 17:5).  Trust in the Lord to provide for your desires.  Our greatest fear should be sitting in purgatory and having  the realization that we could have done so much more for the salvation of the souls of the people that are around us.  But in order to be saved we need to have faith and works.  But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.  James 2:18

My prayer for you is to not let your hearts become hardened throughout your lives and stay that way, we will live lives of increasing insensitivity. We will be spiritually blind to the sin in our hearts and the poor in our midst (see Lk 16:20). Our hearts can become so hardened that we will not listen to someone raised from the dead as Jesus was (see Lk 16:31). If we die in this state of hard-heartedness, we will go to a place of everlasting torment (see Lk 16:24) and be separated from God forever by a great chasm (see Lk 16:26).

Happy St. Patrick's day. 
Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JOY

My witness

You do not need to change I need to change...