Know the Truth

I cannot do anything on my own; I judge as I hear, and my judgment is just, because I do not seek my own will but the will of the one who sent me.  John 5:30

Today's Gospel of John comes after Jesus heals the man who had been by the Bethesda for thirty-eight years.  He longed to be healed.  Tradition holds that the first person to feel the swirling water would be healed, and he struggled each time to get there.  Thirty-eight years is a long time to wait for healing, Jesus knew his faith was strong, did he truly believe the waters would  heal him or was he waiting for Jesus.  At this point Jesus said, "pick up your mat and walk" and the man was instantly healed.  This irritated the Jews who followed each letter of the law, not only was the man carrying his mat on the Sabbath, but Jesus healed him on the Sabbath.  After the healing is where Jesus equals himself to God and this irritated the Jews more and were looking for a reason to kill Jesus.  
It was hard for them to understand how a mere mortal person could claim to be the Son, and to have the same power and authority of God to heal.  They contradict there own understanding of the truth of the old testament and not wanting to believe Jesus was the one, "In a time of favor I have answered you, in a day of salvation I have helped you" (Isaiah 49:8).  Many people still do not believe that Jesus was born from a virgin and did the things he did and rose on the third day, it is to hard to believe.  We believe through our baptism that Jesus is God, Jesus is the only Way to the Father (Jn 14:6)

Can a mother forget her infant, be without tenderness for the child of her womb? Even should she forget, I will never forget you.  But in case you still have some doubts, "See, upon the palms of my hands I have engraved you." The Lord God assures us. (Isaiah 49: 15-16)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JOY

My witness

You do not need to change I need to change...